Soccer Tennis is a fun and exciting game for all ages that can help develop touch on the ball, anticipation and foresight of the next play, creativity, and communication. The game is a mix of tennis and volleyball but without the use of racquets!
- Designate small playing areas with cones.
- The number of playing areas will depend on the number of teams.
- In the center of the playing area, create a center line with cones. This will be considered the “net”.
- Group players into small teams of 3 to 4 players each and assign two teams per playing area.
- One ball is needed for each playing area.
- One team starts the game with a serve.
- The player serving the ball must stand on the endline and volley or drop kick the ball with their feet over the line (the net) anywhere onto the other side.
- If the player serving the ball cannot get the ball over the center line in two attempts, possession is given to the other team to serve.
- The ball must bounce once on the opposing side before being played.
- The player receiving the initial serve is allowed two touches, but the ball is not allowed to touch the ground in between these two touches.
- The head, chest, thighs, and feet can be used to hit the ball.
- The receiving team is allowed 3 touches to return the ball to the other side, but they are allowed to return the ball in one touch if desired.
- The player receiving the initial serve is considered one touch even though they are allowed two touches to start.
- The ball is allowed to touch the ground a maximum of 2 times on either team’s side before being returned.
- Play is stopped when a team cannot return a ball within the allowed number of touches or if the ball goes out of bounds.
- A point is awarded to the opposing team at that time.
- Play up to 5 or 10 points and then switch teams.
- Instruct players to communicate with each other.
- Look for open spaces on the opposing team’s side and utilize them. Tell them to be creative!
- If players are progressing in their skills with receiving and returning the ball, only allow one bounce on either side instead of two.