The Star drill instructs players to pay attention to their surroundings while dribbling through traffic.
- Players should create five lines around the center circle, or a circle about 20 yards wide marked out by cones, so that the 5 lines form the points of a star.
- Choose one line to start with a soccer ball.
- The player with the ball will dribble to the second line to their left and then pass to the first player in that line.
- That player receives the ball, dribbles to the second line to their left and then passes to the first player in that line.
- This continues forming a star pattern.
- When players are getting accustomed to the drill, add a second ball.
- Instruct players to keep their heads up and the ball close to their feet to maintain control while dribbling through the circle.
- Players who are about to receive a pass should call for the ball.
- An additional ball can be added as players become more advanced.
- The distance between lines can be increased or decreased as well.