Red Light Green Light
Red Light Green Light is a fun and easy drill for the youngsters! It will help them learn how to dribble and stay in control of the ball while having some fun!
- You can either designate a playing area or have players line up on the touch line with space in between each player.
- Every player will need a ball.
- To start, say “Yellow Light”! Players should dribble the ball forward in a straight line at a slow pace.
- Then say “Green Light”! Players should continue to dribble the ball forward in a straight line but this time at a fast pace.
- Finally, say “Red Light”! Players should stop the ball and keep their foot on top of the ball in possession.
- Continue to control the drill with the frequency and variation of light changes!
- Instruct players to keep their heads up while dribbling.
- Players should also try and keep the ball close to their feet and not lose possession when it needs to be stopped.
- When players begin to get accustomed to the drill, vary it by allowing them to dribble in any direction.
- Add new colored lights! For example, if you say “Black Light” then they need to dance around the ball! If you say “Blue Light” then they need to hop back and forth over the ball.
- Have fun with it!